Dr. Averbach is proud to have patients come to him for LAP-BAND surgery for weight loss. Maryland, metropolitan Washington, D.C. and Baltimore patients seeking an effective, long-term weight loss option often choose LAP-BAND surgery.
If you are considering bariatric surgery in Maryland, please request a consultation, or call us at (410) 368-8725 to schedule an appointment. You may also want to sign up for one of our free seminars at St. Agnes Hospital in Baltimore to learn more about LAP-BAND surgery.
The LAP-BAND AP® System
The latest generation of the LAP-BAND System – the LAP-BAND AP System – is the most advanced adjustable gastric banding system approved by the FDA. The LAP-BAND AP System uses patented Omniform™ technology – soft, pre-curved, sections – and introduces a 360 degree inflation area. Omniform technology is designed to minimize the potential for leaks due to unwanted creases or folds (crease-fold failure). At the same time, the 360 degree inflation area evenly distributes pressure for complete coverage of stomach anatomy. The LAP-BAND AP System also has the highest available fill volume so your surgeon has the flexibility to offer more precise adjustments.
The LAP-BAND AP System was designed to extend the proven performance of the LAP-BAND® System.
LAP-BAND System Advantages
The LAP-BAND System Advantages at a Glance
Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Minimally invasive surgical approach
- No intestinal re-routing, cutting or stapling of the stomach wall or bowel as with gastric bypass
- Often performed on an out-patient basis
- Small incisions and minimal scarring
- Reduced post-surgical pain, shorter hospital stay and recovery time
- Return to work/normal activities typically within a week
Fewer Risks and Side Effects
- Ten times lower short-term mortality rate than gastric bypass
- Low risk of post-surgical nutritional deficiencies associated with gastric bypass
- Reduced risk of hair loss
- No "dumping syndrome" (food passes through the system too fast resulting in severe cramping/digestive disruption) related to dietary intake restrictions
- Allows for personalized steady, healthy rate of weight loss
- No additional surgery for adjustments
- Supports pregnancy by allowing for increased nutritional needs
- Surgical weight loss option specifically designed for long term weight maintenance
Effective Long Term Weight Loss
- More than 450,000 LAP-BAND System devices distributed worldwide
- #1 selling adjustable gastric band for weight loss worldwide
- Over ten years of medical studies and academic publications follow-up
- Sets the "gold standard" of care for obesity treatment for hundreds of surgeons world-wide
- While it is intended to be a long-term treatment, the LAP-BAND System can be removed at any time, in some cases laparoscopically
- Stomach and other anatomy typically return to their original state/functions